Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sippy cups 'n solids

Again, still catching up on the last two months, so this post is a little, okay a lot, overdue.

You started solid food at precisely 6 months. We attempted the rice cereal and oatmeal a few times before that beginning around 5 1/2 months, but you wanted nothing to do with it. I don't blame you!

April 23, 2012

"Have you actually tried this stuff, Mom?!? Disgusting!"

Right at 6 months, we added apples to your oatmeal and things turned out a little differently - you smacked your lips together, paused a minute, and instead of turning away and sucking your thumb you opened your mouth up, leaned towards me and asked for more! Success! All you needed was a little something tastier and this solid food thing was something you could totally get into.

We introduced the lunch "meal" first. You ate around 11 am after you nursed. Your first foods were: apples and sweet potatoes. You loved them both, until I froze the excess sweet potatoes. When I thawed it out, you hated it. Can we say high maintenance baby? Thankfully, you've since gotten over this and accepted the thawed out fresh food!

Over the next two months we added:
  • avocados (you didn't care much for them until I mixed them with bananas)
  • bananas (yum! but definitely a stool hardener - ouch!)
  • so logically next came prunes (this helped with the crazy poopy faces you were making from the bananas, poor thing!)
  • butternut squash (delish! you loved it! And I love that a $2 or $3 squash makes SO much food)
  • green beans (admittedly not your favorite, which I didn't blame you, they are quite grainy, but you liked them better when mixed with...
  • pears (yummy!)
  • peaches (the faces you made when you tried peaches were priceless - they were a little tart, I'll admit)
  • carrots (took you a bit to get used to the thicker consistency)
  • peas (yuck! you didn't care much for peas unless mixed with pears or some other fruit. These faces were also priceless!) 
  • apricots (also tart, but you liked them when mixed with something else)

May 5, 2012

"This is more like it, Mom! Why you been holding out on me?"

Fresh sweet potatoes & cereal

gimme that spoon!


Still helps to wash it down with some thumb






Now, at 8 months, you're eating 3 "meals" a day and we have added:
  • yogurt - this threw you for a loop! It's really easy to mix with fruits so I've loved being able to give it to you now, but I don't think you appreciated the texture very much at first
  • chicken - talk about texture! pureed chicken is at the top of your "I'm-not-sure-about-this-crazy-textured-food" list. But you seem to enjoy it so long as it's mixed with enough apples. And you gave me my first experience in roasting a whole chicken. Dad and I enjoyed the rest of it, so we thank you!
  • blueberries - you love these with yogurt!
  • broccoli & spinach - I haven't tried making this fresh yet, so we'll see what comes of that soon, but you like the store bought stuff so far.
I've loved the Momtasic's Wholesome Baby Food website - it has been such a huge help in navigating through your first experiences with solids and I refer to it weekly for "recipes" and suggestions on food choices for you. Yet another thing that make me wonder - what did moms do before the internet?!?

You've also just recently begun your first finger foods: whole peas (which were again a total bust), cooked carrots, yogurt chips, and noodles! You still prefer to chew on the plate instead of the food and you still like for me to feed it to you. It's funny how you'll put everything in your mouth except table food!

We also got you your first sippy cups at around 6 months. You mostly just like to chew on them. Understandably so - I tried to drink from one once just to experience first hand what you were experiencing, and man is it hard to get water out of those things! Dr. Neely suggested we get one that isn't spill-proof so you aren't sucking out of it, but those are impossible to find. And if we take the stoppers out of them, you end up with a lap full of water. That was a fun lesson learned, too. :) On our trip to South Padre (more on that in a later post), you really got into drinking ice water from a big kid's cup (with help of course). Your face lights up when you see a tall glass of water! I think you love the cold feeling on your teething gums, too.

It's been fun adding variety and flavors to your diet and watching you experience each new food!

No comments:

Post a Comment