Thursday, May 9, 2013

6 quarters

Happy 18 months, Jacob! Or as your father would say, 6 quarters. I think I've mentioned before how he used to count how long we had been dating in fiscal calendar quarters... yes, we are accounting nerds and proud of it.
wee-ew, wee-ew!
 Back to you now, son. You are at a point in your little life where you are constantly amazing us with how much you are learning. One of the most fun things for Dad has been how you can tell him what you want now! No more guessing! For the most part. You still love your books so much and you have amazed us at how you have begun to memorize them. You know what parts are coming up next and usually say and/or sign them before we can even turn the page. Your favorite books right now are: Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? by Dr. Seuss; Hey, Wake Up!, by Sandra Boynton; Go Dogs Go, by Dr. Seuss; and Puppy Boo (whoops, not sure who this one is by). Last month's faves were Ten Little Lady Bugs (you're favorite part was saying "ome!!", i.e. home, at the end), and Five Little Monkeys.

Some of your new words include: ouch, go 'way (go away, to which I always respond, "oh no, that makes mommy sad", and now you respond with a little fake cry!), bird, bear, duck, out, off, juice, cheese, apple, juice, shosh (socks), shoes, toes, eyes, Noah (you love saying bye-bye to Noah at school), 'nack (snack), all none (all done), 'ome (home), nigh-nigh (night-night), teeth, peas (please), tank-u (thank you), 'elp (help...notice a theme of dropped h's here???), tuck (truck), Elmo, and Do-wa (Dora, as in the Explorer), daddy, mommy, gochu ("I got you!"), and yay! And in Spanish - aqua, auto, mas (not new, but you actually pronounce the s now!), and ti-tiu (translation: "owie"). You know certain things around the house are no, no's because they can give you a ti-tiu.
"Elmo!!!"
You've amazed me at how although you don't say many words in Spanish, I know you understand me. I asked you the other day, after handing you your sippy cup, "Que se dice? Gracias?". You looked at me and did the sign for thank you while saying "tank-u".

The neatest thing this month was hearing you put together two words for the first time! One of your favorite things to do in the morning and at night is watch the cars on the main road outside our house from your bedroom window. One morning a few weeks ago you said "bye-bye choo-choo!". You used to just say, bye-bye, or just choo-choo. But that was the first time you put them together! A few days later your teachers told me that at nap time you said "nigh-nigh Noah" as you patted your buddy's back to "help" him go to sleep. Very sweet of you to help your buddy out like that. Apparently you are such a good helper that you are one of the last to go to sleep at nap time. And one of the hardest to get to let go of the toys. Now there's a shocker. Not (see photo of Gymboree balls later). 
nigh nigh, Mono
You have continued your veggie strike for the most part, but I have found a new friend! Ketchup!! I found an natural option with very minimal sugar added and no high fructose corn syrup so we're both happy. Tonight you actually ate your broccoli because I added ketchup to it. You have NEVER, not once eaten broccoli. So ketchup = happy plate = happy Mama. 
happy plate, thanks to ketchup
You're definitely in the I-can't-make-up-my-mind-I-want-to-do-it-all-at-the-same-time phase! You want up, then down; in, then out; mas, then 'all none'; 'elp, then no 'elp. I guess I really ought to understand because in many ways, I think my mind works in quite the same way most days.

You are still OBSESSED with the ruff-ruffs (puppies). You love airplanes. It's pretty neat living so close to DFW Airport now because you get to say bye-bye to almost every plane that takes off on a daily basis. Your spirit is so sweet, so kind. You love saying hi and bye to EVERYONE, especially bye-bye to all the choo-choos on the road. You have become increasingly out-going. We joined Gymboree and at our first class you went and sat in three random mom's laps. It was almost like I didn't really need to be there. At your first visit to Klyde Warren Park, you walked up to every stranger with a dog and started a conversation with them. Well, really with the dogs.
Gymboree...
...and the balls you wouldn't let go of for anything

I love watching you befriend others. And listening to that laugh! I need more audio recordings of that laugh so I can listen to it forever! One thing hasn't changed - no one makes you laugh like Daddy. I love watching the two of you rough house and play. You love your "Mono", the sock monkey that Melissa gave you for Christmas who is now your favorite bed time buddy. One night on the changing table, you turned Mono on his back and patted him while saying "nigh-nigh." So sweet.

I could go on and on and on about all the things you do and say that make me laugh. I want to write as many of them down as I can because I'm afraid that over time I'll forget them! Your innocence is just absolutely refreshing. I honestly wish I could bottle it up and save it to share with you when you're older and can appreciate just how much it puts the world into perspective. You are one incredible kiddo, Jacob. Mommy and Daddy love you so much! 

Chess, anyone?



running for Boston with Mom
watching Elmo with Dad


No comments:

Post a Comment