Thursday, May 9, 2013

Lately

There are SO many occasions, memories, and little special moments I've been wanting to capture lately. Making time is my only struggle, but sitting on the beach with my three best girl friends sure does provide the exact downtime I need to get this done! 

Early this year we were blessed by the return of our dear friends the Feeneys to Texas! We are thrilled to have Jacob's godfather back so close and to get the opportunity for their daughter and Jacob to grow up together! We loved celebrating Miss Ashlyn's first birthday with them in March.
 

 

We also enjoyed a visit from my Tia Bea & Tio Fernando (aka Trouble) in March to celebrate my little niece Olivia's third birthday! The party was complete with a petting zoo and fabulous family time. Jacob LOVED seeing so many of the animals whose sounds he had learned! 




We celebrated Easter weekend at the lake with Nana, Papa, Aunt Lisa, Uncle Matt, and cousins Caitlyn & Elizabeth. Jacob had a blast playing with his cousins and the girls were equally as excited about him being big enough to play so much more now! He learned to say deer and was ecstatic to see all the ducks! "Quack quack!! Quack quack!!"

I always enjoy Mass at the lake too. There are floor to ceiling windows behind the altar giving you a most spectacular view of the lake. It's an incredible reminder of the beauty of God's creation while receiving the Sacrament!





In April, I did my first Color Run with my dear friend Alicia. Never would we have imagined we would do a 5k together! The pigs were definitely a-flying that day! We had a blast. I can't wait to take Jacob when he's a little bigger. What kid wouldn't love an event where the main goal is to get as messy as you possibly can???




We spent a couple of weekends in April with good friends at Klyde Warren Park, the new park connecting downtown and uptown Dallas. Even though it was completed before we moved from our uptown condo to the burbs, we didn't then have the time to experience it. It is such a neat place! There are shelves of library books for all ages, game tables, pianos lining the park for free music-making, food trucks galore, little splash pads for kids to run around in, tons of grass for picnics & lounging, and lots of play areas. Complete with a soft track playground for the littlest kiddos! 

One weekend we spent with some of Jim's best friends, who I'm sure will become like uncles to Jacob over the years. Another we spent with my friend Lizanne and her son Brooks (affectionately known as Mr. Brooks), Jacob's friend from his old school! I wasn't sure if Jacob would recognize his buddy who he hadn't seen in a few months, but I think they picked up right where they left off! The boys seem to really love being around each other and even get into mischief together with such joy on their faces (like banging sippy cups on tables at restaurants and giggling like crazy in response to each other). 







We also enjoyed our first (of what i hope will be many more) play date with my dear friend Lauren and her sweet daughter Emmy. Jacob loved getting to play with a new friend! 





Jacob had his first haircut back in January. It was way past due at the time, and since then he's had two more. The latest went super short but it's really grown on me and I think he looks so much more grown up now! Such a little boy!

First haircut in January:




After shot from most recent haircut last week: 


Last weekend we traveled to
College Station for Mauricio's graduation (whoop!) and Jacob's first trip to Aggieland. Jim and I obviously have  conflicting feelings about each others alma maters, and our rivalry divides us a bit at times. But the reality is that little boys often grow up to want to be just like their daddies, so chances are that my window of sharing my love for A&M with my son is very slim, for soon he will have his own opinion. Given this knowledge, it was very special for me to introduce my little boy to this place that played such a significant role in forming me into who I am today. And what an incredible feeling to watch Mauricio walk across that stage! To know that his life was as impacted as mine by the same place. Different people, different decades, but the same amazing spirit. 





I came home that Sunday evening after graduation, Mother's Day, to a beautiful bouquet of purple and pink roses, a clean house, grocery shopping for the week all done, and a delicious home-cooked meal waiting for me, all courtesy of my wonderful husband. He sure made me feel special on Mom's Day. I am truly one very blessed lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment