Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Six, seven, and eight

I am sad that I've let this go for so long. You are about to become an official nine-month-old on Wednesday and I have yet to document your sixth, seventh, or eight months! There are some things I will certainly leave out on accident as my memory begins to fail me and the months kind of run together, so I've learned my lesson on jotting down notes even if I can't write a full post so I don't forget all the fun new things you're doing and when you did them. Since I can't turn back time, and I have vowed to catch up on these three awesome months by your 9 month birthday, here goes...

Six months
You gave us the best gift about 2 weeks before your 6 month birthday...you began sleeping through the night consistently! After a few nights of this, you woke up once around 2 AM. Dad and I decided to let you cry it out. It was so very hard, but you had shown us you were ready. You cried for about 20 minutes, then found your thumb, and went back to sleep. Success! We were beyond relieved.

The next night, you slept all night again. And you've done so every night since then (excuse me a second while I go find some wood to knock on)! Occasionally you wake up randomly to talk to yourself, the ceiling fan, or the nightlight at the top of the monitor. The baby monitor is one of my favorite baby products, simply for the fact that it allows me the luxury of listening in on these cutest of moments. And when you're all talked out, you find your thumb and go back to sleep. Precious. We are so thankful!

You had slept through the night a few times before at around four and again at five months, but always went back to night waking after a night or two and it was almost always impossible not to feed you or at least pick you up. You never wanted to play. I nursed you and you went right back to sleep. Sometimes you weren't hungry and just wanted to be held. I didn't mind, I love cuddling with you. (That is not intended to imply you should start doing this again though! I'll take the bedtime cuddles instead of middle of night cuddles at this point)!

You started solids right at 6 months! Lots on that in the solids post. We started with applesauce and cereal at lunchtime. You loved it. :)

You were starting to sit up while supported either in your bumbo or against the couch. You took swimming lessons! You became an expert roller-over. That was your mode of transportation and continues to be one of your favorites. You started saying Papa and Dada a lot. You became so talkative! You still were fascinated by your toes. You continued to chew on everything. We thought you would for sure have teeth in no time!

You started your new daycare away from Mom's work. It was a sad day all over again, but luckily Dad was on drop off duty that first week and that helped make it much easier for Mom. It was really hard not to get to see you three times a day. I had gotten so spoiled! It's still tough, but the days tend to fly by and I eagerly anticipate the end of each day so I can pick you up.  Seeing your face light up when I walk in the room at school is hands down the best part of my day! I want to put that smile of yours in a box and keep it forever.

At your 6 month check up, your stats were:
Weight:13 lb 4 oz (15th percentile)
Height: 24.25 inches (3rd percentile)
Head circumference: 42.5 cm (50th percentile)

so serious

toes!

happy, happy

there's that sheep again

this is one of my favorites

ha!!

tipping over

Yum...toes
Seven months
Your seventh month flew by! We survived the chaos that ensued from pulling you out of one day care and enrolling you into another at the end of May. Long story, but well worth it. We are so pleased with the teachers at your new "school", as I like to refer to it. :)

In your seventh month you got a lot stronger! You began pushing up a lot more when on your tummy and by the end of the month you were sitting up on your own! You would still topple over when reaching for a far away toy, so we made sure to keep pillows around you still. This month you discovered how much you loved to stand! Here are a couple of pictures of your first moment on your own two feet without too much support from Dad or Mom.



You continue to love your books! Reading is so fun. You really began to enjoy "reading" to me, too! And you especially love tasting your books. :) I hope that you'll grow up to take after your dad and his love of literature.

You developed a major case of what my mom likes to call "momitis", or in Spanish "mamitis". It flared up particularly strong in the evenings. This is where you only want Mom when you're the least bit cranky or tired. No one else will do and you'll turn and cling to me if I try to hand you off or put you down. I must admit that it was so sweet and cute and I didn't mind one bit. I know that one day very soon you won't want to be held very much at all, so I'm soaking up every last second of you wanting to be in my arms right now!

You added more foods to your diet and you were still taking three naps a day. You caught a stomach bug that made you projectile vomit at least once a day for ten days straight! Yuck! It was so sad, you developed a reputation at school - the teachers always had a towel ready while they gave you your bottle and they warned me if you had just eaten when I came to pick you up! I felt so bad for you during that time, but you were such a trooper and you were your normal happy self despite all the tummy troubles.

You loved to stick out your tongue and you developed a new squishy face you loved to make! I don't know how much of this face we caught on camera but it was the cutest thing.

You gave me extreme joy the of celebrating my first Mothers' day during your seventh month! The last several months of being your mom have been incredible. I thank God daily for your dad and for you and I'm reminded constantly of how blessed I am to get to spend my days with you both. 



squishy face


what's that you say, Mr. Duck?


you are such a happy baby!


Eight months
Your eighth month flew by! By the end of it you became an excellent sitter- upper! No more pillows needed - you were such a big boy! You started doing this *hilarious* thing where you lock your knees just as we go to put you in your car seat. You don't want to sit! You just stand and grin at me as though it's the funniest joke anyone's ever played on me. (It is pretty funny).

You started practicing with table foods! You really didn't appreciate the peas - those were some of the funniest gag faces I wish I could have caught on video and if it weren't for my fear of your gagging turning to choking, I might have. But cooked carrots & dried yogurt chips were instant faves. We also added some more protein to your diet with chicken and some more calcium via yogurt and cheese. It was Mom's first time to roast a whole chicken so thanks for providing me with that awesome experience! ;)

You continued with Mamitis, and I continued to love it. You chomped on everything in site - we thought for sure you'd have a tooth cut by the 8-month mark! Nope. That was yet to come.

You cleaned the floor by rolling from one side if the room to the other. Thank you for that my little helper! And you started scooting around on your tummy a bit like a little worm. The cutest little worm of course.

We celebrated Dad's first Fathers' day! It made me so happy to think of many more of those to come.You still live for Dad to make you laugh and your face lights up when he walks in your room in the mornings before we go to school and work. You start looking around the moment you hear his voice. I love how much you love your pop.

You took your first airplane ride! We went on a week-long vacation with Nana, Papa, Aunt Lisa, Caitlyn, & Elizabeth to South Padre Island. You got to enjoy the pool, the beach, playing with your cousins, and even got to taste a fistful of sand when I took my eyes off you for half a second! Doh!

You celebrated your first 4th of July! No late night fireworks for you but we did have some great quality family time. You loved singing along with Boston Pops in our living room. :)

We also branched into the world of cloth diapering! It has been fun and much easier than I ever expected it would be.  Dad says I've gone all hippie on him. Maybe, but that little bum is so adorable in them. :) Many thanks to my dear friend Kathy for all her guidance on getting started. For anyone interested, check out here awesome post on the modern cloth diaper - a great intro!

You still love to talk! Dada is by far your favorite word (and still is - though I keep trying to teach you Mama). And although you say it all the time, I think you've definitely begun to associate it with Dad. Precious. :)


where has the time gone? when did you get so big?!?



you tower over the sheep now!


No comments:

Post a Comment